Hey everyone, time for another blog post! Here we have something different, a modified Audi A6 Allroad from our friends at Only Charged Dubs, specialists in performance parts and air ride installations for VW group vehicles. Matt from OCD contacted us as he had arranged a trade stand at one of the biggest indoor VAG shows in the UK, Ultimate Dubs and had his Audi A6 lined up to be showcased at the show along with various other cars to show off their work.
He contacted us as his personal car was used daily and he had little time to keep on top of it, therefore the paint had dulled off a fair amount and was covered in contamination. He also let us know that the car had paintwork on both sides, at this point we recommended a Paint Enhancement Detail to rejuvenate the paintwork and to remove any defects. Due to long working hours and a lack of time to look after the car and re-protect the paintwork we suggested that he should invest in a nano coating over a traditional wax to prolong protection and to maintain high gloss levels for a longer period, after an email exchange Matt decided to go for Koch Chemie 1k Nano.
Upon the delivery of the car we knew he wasn’t fibbing about having the time to clean the car, the car was filthy to say the least! At this point I want to apologise for the lack of pictures from the first day of the detail, I had forgotten my camera at home! We proceeded with a thorough clean, we started off with a degreaser on the lower areas of the car to loosen up the dirt and grime, concentrating on the arches and wheels. Once the car was rinsed we gave the car a pre-wash using Glanz Snow Foam, while it was left to dwell we tackled all the nooks and crannies of the car using a soft detailing brush coupled with degreaser to tackle the baked on dirt.
Next up was the wheels, we proceeded with a deep clean using Bilberry wheel cleaner to remove any loose grime and to loosen up any deeper contamination. We followed up with a fallout remover to agitate and remove the baked on contamination (brake dust) leaving the wheels looking like new again! The rest of the car was given a safe two bucket wash which was then followed up with Bilt Hamber Korrosol fallout remover all over the exterior of the car and left to dwell for 10 minutes to remove any bonded contamination such as tree sap, brake dust and other iron filings. Any other bonded contamination was removed carefully using clay.
Once the car was inside and dried off, we started inspecting the paint. We found that the car didn’t have many defects such as swirls as both sides had been re-painted, however due to the paintwork and normal bodyshop ‘buffing’ the car was dull due to heavy compounding and was covered in holograms. At this point we would normally show you pictures of the defects but the pictures were terrible due to the paint being silver, the worst colour to try and capture under light! However the images we could get of other areas of the car gives you a good idea of what we were dealing with. After a couple of tests on the paintwork we proceeded to correct the paintwork using a DAS6 Pro+ machine, accompanied with a Microfibre cutting pad and Koch Chemie H8 compound. Normally on a german car with these defects we would choose a rotary machine because of the hard paint, however because we couldn’t measure the paint depths to gauge an idea of how much we could cut the paint back due to the car having had re-paint work we went for the safer option to minimize heat and still achieve similar levels of correction. All the tighter areas of the car, as well as the clear plastics were polished using a DAS6 Pro machine with a spot pad for more control.
After the cutting stage was complete we proceeded with the refining/finishing stage to enhance the gloss and to remove any ‘haze’ from the previous stage. As you can see from the image below the metallic flake was really popping now that the defects had been permanently removed!
Once the paintwork had been polished, we proceeded to correct the dreaded piano black pillars, as you can see from the ‘before’ images they were covered in scratches and heavy swirl marks. After a couple of careful passes with the compound followed by light polishing the defects were removed and the beautiful deep gloss black finish was brought back to life, looking like how they would have originally looked when the car was first manufactured!
Once the correction stage was complete our next job was to protect the car. We gave the whole car a thorough wipe down using panel wipe to remove any polishing oils and residue that may affect the coatings bonding to the surface. As mentioned at the start of the post the customer opted for Koch Chemie 1k Nano, we applied the coating using a machine polisher on a low speed to ensure a completely even coating on all the painted surfaces. Any of the harder to reach areas were coated by hand. The glass was next, we polished this by hand both on the exterior and interior to maximize clarity and then applied the coating, for this we opted for Koch Chemie Nano-Glass. The wheels were coated in Gtechniq C2V3.
Here’s the finished article, as you can see from the pictures the car now looks simply stunning and will be protected for the next couple of years making it easy to maintain. Don’t forget to check out our Services page to see what we can offer for your pride and joy to get it looking its best!
High Resolution pictures: Flickr
Thanks for reading!